6.11.09

A Quite Possibly Silly Question and The Human Domino Effect


I do not believe in a distant God who exists outside, out of reach, looking down at all of His creation. I think when one, even God, creates something, it remains forever a part of Him. I like to think of EVERYTHING as existing within God. Which, for me, reconciles the question of why God allows bad things to happen in this world. Those things are happening to God, not just to us. When a child is in pain, does not the pain happen to the Mother and Father as well? Maybe God allows us to effect His own evolution. After all, does not Love involve trust? Or is God the one thing which stays the same in a universe which is always changing? I know this is not an easy question and it's probably silly to even ask such questions, but I really want to know, what do you think? Sometimes, I like to think of humans as being a small part of the "body" of God. Maybe I am a single cell and you are a thought in His consciousness. If this is true, then everything we do and think and are is of consequence. If this is true, then certainly we are all connected, one part of an amazing, unfathomable whole. Just think of all the chain reactions... I want my life to be the stimulus that triggers a reaction that results in a smile on the face of God.

One day, through the window, I watched the reflection of our neighbor on her deck as she folded the laundry she had hung out to dry. After she finished folding the last crisp white linen sheet, I watched her watch the passersby below. Though I kept my eyes on her, I tried to imagine what she was seeing. A lonely man in a suit, briefcase in hand, steadily walks to work, while his mind is muddled with a million meandering thoughts. Suddenly in front of him, like a cool breeze, passes a beautiful woman in a red polka dot dress, like something from the 1960's. She's the kind of woman who strolls with confidence and obliviously turns heads while thoughts of the chocolate cake she will later bake and eat smother her head like the cream cheese frosting she will top it with. Her eyes meet sad Mr. Suit's as they pass, she slides him a slow and genuine smile, the way a card dealer slides a winning card across the table, and in that moment his mind is clear, except for the small spark of inspiration lighting up the clarity. Feeling refreshed in the way that a beautiful woman smiling sincerely at a lonely man can make him feel refreshed, he is at once attentive to his surroundings. He notices the old lady who everyday sets up her cheap plastic keyboard and butchers classic pieces of music as passersby pass by. Today, for the first time, he stops and listens. As she plays the worst version of Debussy's Claire de Lune he has ever heard, he smiles, drops a dollar into her cup, and continues his walk to work. Beside my neighbor's reflection is another reflection, that of a television screen inside her apartment. On it is a faint, but distinguishable image of a human domino effect, the people falling into each other, one by one. My neighbor smiles and turns to walk inside. I smile, too.


(from the Upanishads)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

An interesting concept... And I think your description of that one moment of the day was lovely.

http://excerpts-kristin.blogspot.com/