24.2.10

Taneda Santoka

-Saigyo

Do you like haiku? I do! I remember the first time I came across Saigyo, I thought I could just die quite happily right then and there in the dear old Abilene Public Library. I came across the name Taneda Santoka in the Haruki Murakami novel I'm currently reading, Kafka on the Shore. By the way, Jason and I are both in some deep, deep LOVE with Murakami. We are delightfully ripping through his novels like our lives depend on it. What a genius he is! Anyway, so I looked up Taneda Santoka and fell in some deep deep love with him, too. Here are a few things I've learned about him so far: His father squandered the family's wealth on women and booze. His mother, exhausted by life, threw herself into the family well when Taneda was a boy. The sight of his mother's lifeless body pulled up from the well was, as one can imagine, something that deeply troubled Taneda for the rest of his days. He had a nervous breakdown and dropped out of school. His brother committed suicide. His wife divorced him. He had a drinking problem. He attempted suicide on more than one occasion. He often wandered alone with only a begging bowl. And yet! And yet, he wrote this beautiful poetry. He was a haiku rebel, not adhering to the traditional 5-7-5 structure. I like people who aren't afraid to push the envelope. And while many haiku poets write about cherry blossoms, Taneda wrote often about weeds.

In happiness
Or sadness
Weeds grow and grow.

One of the things I appreciate most about haiku is the way it brings together the inner and the outer, the spiritual and the physical. It evokes feelings of intimacy with context, combining so beautifully attention to surroundings with awareness of the heart. For me, haiku reflects the oneness of the sadness and joy of living.


Haiku shows us what we knew all the time,
but did not know we knew; it shows us that
we are poets in so far as we live at all.

-R.H. Blyth


Even the sound of the raindrops
Has grown older.




















All day,
Without a word-
Waves crashing.






3 comments:

Ruth said...

Extraordinarily beautiful.

If I read novels (more than one a year, say), I would say that I would go straight to pick up some of Murakami's. It's possible that I could become a novel reader if I fell in love too. I did fall in love with Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces. But anyway.

Your writing here affirms what I have learned about poetry. That maybe the best poets overcome something. Without obstacles, without deep sadness, without some separation that results in turning to the inner world, real poems can't happen.

What we knew all the time but did not know we knew, that is it. If a poem does that, it's enough. I do love how haiku synthesize and condense. Imagine condensing his experience, this Taneda.

Thank you so much. Whenever I come here I feel your power, and the power of our connection, our kindredness.

Ruth said...

Even the sound of the raindrops has grown older.

I really love the good in you.

lovely you said...

Oh, Ruth! I appreciate you more than I can say.

Lately I've been eating a lot of what I like to call 'Ruth Salads'. Thanks again for the recipe.

After I get over my Murakami obsession, I think I will give Fugitive Pieces a go since you did fall in love with it and all. (I happen to think you have excellent taste.)