13.4.10

Sky Wheel of Terror!


The other day Jason and I finally experienced the Giant Sky Wheel that lives across the street from us.




Have I mentioned before how terrified I am of heights? I am terrified of heights. I would really rather not be up there when I could be down here. Down here is so nice. BUT! for some unknown reason, I decided I wanted to ride the Sky Wheel, and for some reason I wasn't nervous about being up high, or maybe I just didn't think it through? This is quite possible, kind of like the time I thought I would give up cheese...we all know I did NOT think that one through. Perhaps I temporarily forgot about my severe case of acrophobia? Or maybe I didn't make the connection that ferris wheel = up high? With me, you never can tell. (And neither can I.) All I know is I was all, "Yeah, this is gonna be fun!" before we got on and then BAM! we got on, and it started going up, and I was literally frozen with fear. I would not/could not move. Jason was laughing and taking pictures of me.

(This is what fear looks like.)

And I was shushing him as if his words might make the whole thing collapse and holding onto him like a big fat baby. The ride paused when we were at the very top and the man in the cage in front of us could tell I was freakin' out and turned around to say in disbelief, "Are you scared?" As in, "are you actually scared of this stupid little ferris wheel ride that a small child would not be afraid of?" I managed a teeny tiny "yes." I was practically crying, guys, over a stupid ferris wheel ride! Seriously, it isn't even that high. But I just knew it was going to break any second and that it was going to be the end of me. I was examining the ride, asking Jason, "Why is it making that awful sound? Do you see how rusty those bolts are! Do you think if we fall this cage will protect us?" It wasn't until the very end of the ride that I finally started to relax, but then it was over. I was still alive! But I felt like an idiot for freaking out so much. I said to Jason, "And I was just learning to enjoy it! And now it's over." And he said, "Yeah, and isn't it a lot like life. We finally learn to stop being scared and enjoy ourselves, and then it's over. So, we might as well stop being scared now." He's pretty wise, that one.

(This is what Jason was enjoying while my eyes were closed.)

So, this got me to thinking about fear and its over represented place in my life, and I was going to try to expound on what el profesor said, to say something wise or useful or something! about fear, but honestly, I haven't figured out how to not be scared, (if you have, please fill me in!) so, this is not a story about me overcoming something or learning anything. Really, it's just me laughing at myself and hoping that you laugh at me, too, because really, if we can't laugh at ourselves or allow other people to laugh at us, then we are taking ourselves way too seriously. I recently finished reading Paul Auster's The Invention of Solitude in which he writes: "The world was turned inside out, swept away, and then immediately reborn as a kind of metaphysical jest. There was no room in that world for a man who did not have a sense of his own ridiculousness." If that is the world we live in, then I think there is a place for me because I'm starting to get a pretty good sense of my own ridiculousness.

Have a ridiculous day!

4 comments:

Janet Jergins said...

There is nothing wrong with being afraid of ferris wheels! Just think about it. If just aa few bolts broke at the exact second that you were at the top, the ride to the bottom would NOT be fun, and might really hurt when you hit the bottom. That breathtaking view then would not be so pretty!

(By the way, I love ferris wheels, but can't stand looking out over a cliff.) Fear of heights is an ingrained survival instinct. THERE!

Ruth said...

I love ferris wheels. Roller coasters, no. But there is something thrilling to me about ferris wheels. This one is so beautiful (well your pictures are). And the view, phew.

What I am usually afraid of is something I think I won't be able to handle in the future somewhere, some big bad evil day when I will be stretched beyond my capacity. Somehow, when the actual moments come, I'm just fine. It's like adrenaline or shock kicks in, and I can handle anything.

And yes, ridiculousness. But you are very young to realize this, way younger than I was. I think you guys are growing up better, I mean you, Jason, my Lesley and Peter, than I did. I just started taking myself less seriously about last week, or at least it seems like it.

You know, that's freedom, isn't it?

cindy said...

I guess you inherited the fear of heights!

cindy said...

From your father! :)