26.3.09

Champ

In the spring of 1995, Chrissy unexpectedly brought home a puppy she had gotten from the Wal-Mart parking lot. You see, our family has a habit of acquiring pets unexpectedly. And we also have a habit of loving them well. One of the things I love most about my family is our compassion for animals. So, needless to say, we fell in love with this sweet little puppy and named her Champ. For 14 years, we loved Champ and she loved us, and as is always the case with Love, we were transformed by it. We never did find out exactly what breeds she had in her, only that she was the sweetest, smartest, and most loyal dog any of us has ever known. She was an integral part of our family. What I loved most about Champ was her sensitivity. She healed our wounds in more ways than one. And the fierceness of her loyalty is a lesson to us all. I think she would have followed my Dad to the ends of the Earth. She was as Special as they come. And truly, she was a Champ, indeed. We miss her presence already, but the memories we have of her, the lessons we learned from her, and the Love we shared with her, will always be with us.

                                           Champ
                              1995-2009


Mary Oliver writes poems about her dog, Percy. Here is my favorite:

"I Ask Percy How I Should Live My Life"

Love, love, love, says Percy.
And run as fast as you can
along the shining beach, or the rubble, or the dust.

Then, go to sleep.
Give up your body heat, your beating heart.
Then, trust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you Champ! I have so many fond memories of her. Thanks for sharing the pictures, she was very photogenic :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy, I am sorry to hear this. Your words are a beautiful tribute. I don't always connect with every animal I meet, but I did certainly see in Champ all of the good you wrote about. She was a special dog!