24.5.09

Assateague Island

On Saturday, Jason, Yuki, and I went to Assateague Island. Assateague Island stretches 37 miles along the Atlantic coast of the Eastern shore. (It's basically one enormous dune.) Jason and I had been a couple times before, but we wanted to make one more trip out there as we know it will be a long time before we make it back, if we ever make it back to this area. Also, we really wanted Yuki to meet the ocean.  Well, it was definitely love at first sight!  She ran like crazy all over the beach, chasing seagulls and making friends. She loves sand and digs on command, so there was a lot of that, too. Jason and I took a more leisurely approach, relaxing in the sun and just enjoying the view and the free entertainment provided by Yuki! We saw the infamous wild horses again though I've become a bit disenchanted with them since the last time we saw them as I have since learned that they are actually an overabundant invasive species who have become a real problem for the island as they munch their way through precious plants vital to the sustainability of the rare coastal ecosystems. But still, they are majestic:
 And although we have in our near future the prospect of spending some serious time on probably more beautiful beaches with better waves, Assateague will always be special to us, and we will miss it. Oh, and for those of you who know what happened last time we went to Assateague, you will be happy to know that I am only mildly sunburned this time. No sunburn induced vomiting or swelling here! I told Jason yesterday that instead of referring to my skin as fair, I'm going to start calling it what it really is: unfair! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the pics! I am also impressed with y'alls cartwheels :)