27.10.09

No. It's a perfect day for a PEARfect day.

Not that anyone necessarily cares
but for what it's worth
I decided I like pears.

When I first met Jason, he did not particularly care for mushrooms. He didn't despise them or anything, but he really didn't like them either. But one day, shortly after we started dating, he announced to me that he was going to start liking mushrooms. And just like that, without making a big fuss about it, he did just that, he started liking mushrooms and has been happily eating them ever since. Now though I was probably already head over heels at that point, I fell in love with him even more that day. I am inspired by people who aren't afraid to challenge their own notions. Like my friend Sarahreed, who used to HATE running, but for whatever reason started running anyway and is now a dedicated runner who competes in marathons for crying out loud! That's a beautiful thing. Who we are is not set in stone. We have these amazing capacities for change, adaptation, evolution. But we don't always utilize these abilities. We form many opinions about things when we're young and then we rarely challenge those ideas again. Which leads me to pears. I have felt my whole life about pears the way Jason felt about mushrooms. I never thought they were totally disgusting, but simply that I'd rather not eat them, what with the texture being a little creepy and all. I tried them maybe a few times when I was young and didn't really like them, so, for the last however many years I've simply avoided them. But, when I stop and think about it, pears are beautiful things. I love their shape and color, and maybe most of all, their cute little freckles. They are rich in fiber, vitamin c, k and copper. Homer, in The Odyssey, referred to them as the gift of the gods. What's not to like, right? So, I decided the other day when Jason and I bought some pears, that I was going to like them. I've been anxiously waiting for them and my love for them to ripen. Well, I am happy to announce that not only did I just eat, but also ENJOYED! a delicious pear, and I'm pretty excited about it. It's exciting to open yourself up to new things. Last year, I started liking canteloupe, this year, it's pears. Next year, I think I'll tackle my disdain for watermelon. But I don't care what anyone says, I will never, not ever like lima beans. Not in a box, not with a fox, nor in a house or with a mouse! So, to anyone who reads this, I present a challenge: Renew your mind. Think of some thing, person, place or idea that you have negative energy towards and try to change that conception into something positive. Or maybe try something new you've always been closed off to. Maybe you'll find you do like green eggs and ham after all. And now, for a tribute to my newfound friend, THE PEAR! A picture and a poem:


poem by Linda Paston


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club. I always look forward to fall when I can display and then eat bowls full of these golden apples of the sun, picked fresh from my granny's tree at the ranch.

Love the photo and the poem.

Adios and peace.

Anonymous said...

When I started to read this post, I thought, "Well maybe Tracy will try Watermelon now too!" and then low and behold, you said maybe next year you would try watermelon. :) 2010 the year of the watermelon...I can feel it.