24.9.09

Footy Fever

Growing up, I was a big sports fan. I  loved playing sports and watching sports with my Dad on tv. Over the last few years, though, my interest in sports has declined. It probably has much to do with the fact that, with the exception of a tennis match against Jason every once in a while, I no longer participate in sports. Also, we haven't had tv in a while, and I'm not around my Dad, who is a huge sports fan. And Jason, well, he's never really been a sports fan. BUT, let me tell you...we love us some Footy!! Australian Rules Football, aka Footy, is maybe the coolest sport ever. These guys are fierce athletes playing a tough sport. It's fast paced and way more exciting than the NFL in my opinion. I just can't help but have a tremendous amount of respect for how tough these guys are; they knock the crap out of each other with no pads on! We saw a guy get his front tooth knocked out and he just kept right on playing. And they're in killer good shape cause they run up and down this Enormous field for 80 minutes. We got the chance to go to a game, and it did not disappoint. The feeling in the air was electric! A little boy in front of us cried when his team lost. Australians really love their Footy. It seems you have to have a team and be very loyal to it.  We decided our team was going to be St. Kilda since that was one of the teams playing in the game we went to. Not only did they win that game, but come Saturday night, they will be competing in the Grand Final for the Championship!! It's a big deal around here, they have activities all week at Federation Square and even have a parade on Saturday. I'm kinda wondering what everyone's going to do when it's over. 


GO SAINTS!


If you can overlook the cheesy song (or turn down your speakers) watch this video with some classic footy moments and see what I mean about the awesomeness of this sport:
  


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO!! I LOVE me some short man shorts. Show that man leg boys and I'll root your team on till the end of time. Looks fun! What's the typical footy game diet. Do they do the hot dogs and beer, or fake cheese nachos? Please feel us in...

Anonymous said...

Uh, I mean fill us in...man, my writing skills are slowly deteriorating. I've been using the other side of my brain too much lately1

lovely you said...

Oh, they definitely do beer. That's sort of a given around here. But as far as the food goes, I didn't really pay attention. I would guess they have the same or similar things, maybe some meat pies, too. Those are popular here.

cindy said...

Was that a recent video? Looked more like something from the 70's with those shorts! And those refs were pretty funny, too. It does look like an interesting sport to watch. Hope your team does well!

lovely you said...

Yes, that is a recent video; those are the shorts they wear! In fact, I'm not gonna lie and say that that isn't part of the appeal...Footy players are hot!

I'm sorry to say that our team lost the final. BUT, it was the best game we saw all season! We're sad Footy is over; Cricket season is next and I just don't see us getting into it like we did Footy. It seems pretty lame.