18.9.09

A Word About Vegemite

I love the kid who made this:

Guess Jason and I are not "normal guys."  Vegemite not only looks disgusting, the taste is also fairly disgusting. We were very eager to try it since it was one of the few things we actually knew about Australia before coming here. We learned this, by the way, from the song Down Under. You know,  "He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich." Yeah, we did a lot of research. Anyway, so we tried it our first week here. As I spread the black pastiness over the bread, the words tar on toast came to mind. It tastes very salty and the flavor is hmmm, well it's concentrated yeast extract, so I guess it pretty much tastes like how you think concentrated yeast extract would taste. Apparently, Kraft (who makes Vegemite) has recently come out with a new vegemite. The slogan is, "It's Vegemite, But Different." Nice one, Kraft. How long did it take you to come up with that? They had a contest for consumers to give it a new name, so as to distinguish it from the original, which will be revealed next week. Apparently, their marketing department sucks so bad that they have to come up with schemes to get Joe Blo to do their work for them. Those Krafty bastards.  I'm skeptical, but maybe, in the spirit of the Australian's notion of giving everything "a fair go," we'll give it a try. Anyway, just wanted to let all you Americans know that, at least in mine and Jason's opinion, you're not missing out on anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally could have warned you about that black sludge. Julie has some in our fridge when I was a kid, and I thought it must be some kind of chocolate treat. So I stole some without asking and smeared a hug dollap on a piece of bread or something. I stuck it in my mouth and then learned my lesson. Never steal what you think is chocolate, because you might end up with a mouthful of vegemite.